Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Great State of Abraska…

The other day my niece came home from school. As usual, she was full of chatter. Each day I get to hear about the current gossip in the 6th grade, which student is sick, and anything exciting that happens in class.

My niece rattled off some gossip and then she exclaimed, “Oh! We also learned about crazy laws that some states have.”

Her eyes sparkled with interest, so I asked, “Oh yeah? Like what?”

“Well,” she began as she flopped down on the couch, “In Oklahoma there is a law that says it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk!”

“I remember hearing about that one. There is also one where it is illegal to curse in front of women and children on a Sunday.” I replied.

“The best one was from Abraska! Did you know it is illegal to flick a booger?”

I looked back at my niece and tried not to laugh. Clearly, she misunderstood.

“Um, I think you have a fact wrong.”

“No! It’s true! In Abraska, you can go to jail if you flick a booger! Isn’t that gross?”

“Abraska?” I asked.

“Yeah!” My niece said, nodding her head.

I am trying not to laugh, “Um… do you mean Nebraska?”

She looked at me with a puzzled expression on her face, “No, it’s Abraska…”

I do laugh now, “There isn’t a state called Abraska. There is a state called Nebraska.”

“No, I know it started with an ‘a’.”

I smile, “I’m going to name off some ‘a’ states… Arkansas, Arizona, Alabama…”

“That’s it!” she exclaimed. “It was Alabama!”

I laughed. The mystery had been solved.

“What grade are you in?” I asked with a smile. I was only teasing, though.

She didn’t reply, but opened her book to read instead.

Abraska, eh? Oh my. It gave me a good laugh anyway.
 

 

No comments: