Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Front Row... or Bust!

Last time I mentioned that I go to wrestling events when they are near. The WWE (world wrestling entertainment) was in my town on Sunday, but I didn’t go. Why, you ask. I’ll tell you.

Way back in 2000 I went to my first live wrestling event. It was in Tulsa during winter and my Dad didn’t want my best friend and I to drive there alone. So he did the unthinkable… He made my older sister go as a chaperone. She was mad. I was mad… but we got to go. Well, not, not really. We almost didn’t get to go because there was an ice storm the day before the show, but thankfully my friend’s mom got us a hotel room, so we went despite the weather.

So we got to the Arena and found our seats. Here is what our view looked like.


Okay, I exaggerate… but we were two rows back from the VERY top of the arena! No joke! TWO ROWS! The next show we went to we were a little closer. We were only six rows from the very top!

But then a funny thing happened. The more events I started going to, the closer my seats started getting to the ring ( I also started to learn little tricks here and there about purchasing tickets, but that’s another story). I was mid-bowl, then lower level, and then I finally made it to the floor! My first floor seat was 8th row and I was in heaven!

But in 2006 my seating adventures took a whole new turn. My family and I were going to a house show ( a non-televised live event) in Little Rock for my niece’s birthday. I was supposed to get 6 tickets for my family and my friend and her family. When I went to get the tickets, something happened between entering “6” and going to the next page and somehow I ended up with “8” tickets… in the first row!

Um, y’all aren’t as excited as me. Let me say it again…

8 tickets in the FIRST ROW!!!

I was ecstatic! I had only dreamt of a front row seat and now my family and friends were going to enjoy it with me! We went to the show and it was, without a doubt, one of the best shows that I have ever been to!

But it also created a problem. After sitting in the first row, being in the eighth row just wasn’t as fun. I could handle being in the second and third row… but anything after that and it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

Call me spoiled, and maybe I am… but it would be like someone giving you a brand new iPhone and then telling you to use an analog phone. Yeah, not cool!

So back to the show here in my town. I didn’t go because I didn’t get ‘good’ seats. I’m not disappointed though… I had a surprise encounter with a wrestler at a restaurant, which made my day. And, there will always be another show to go to.  :)

No comments: