Monday, March 7, 2011

Telling and Showing

I have been thinking about writing and everything that I have learned thus far. And let me tell you, I have learned so much over the years! When I first started writing I thought I knew it all. Boy was I wrong! I look back at my old stories and things that I started, but never finished and just laugh.

Don't get me wrong. The idea was there, the *wow* factor. But I would TELL the reader what was going on instead of SHOWING them. It took me a long time to figure this one out.

Here is an example:
Tell: She was mad. He was there and she didn't want to see him.

Show: Her fists clenched at her side as she looked across the room. That jerk had the nerve to crash her party!

Both convey the same thing. The girl doesn't want the guy there. The first one is telling you. The second one shows your, or, at least, I hope it does. Hey, I'm still learning here! Every day that I write I learned something new and that is the point.

Writing and Leaning.

No comments: